Monday 30 July 2018

South Dakota - Mt Rushmore, Needles Highway, Mammoth Site and 4 wheeling

With one week to go we are now slamming in National and State Parks at a fever pitch! Mount Rushmore on Friday and Custer State Park yesterday. Our last National Park (and therefore Junior Ranger badge - the big prize) will be tomorrow when we visit Badlands National Park. The twins have even bought matching ranger vests to pin their patches too when they earn them- I feel like I've been reincarnated already! I'm so proud!

Yesterday was a fun highlight for me (and them hopefully, since I'm doing all the fun kids activities vicariously through them). We went to a site where prehistoric mammoth skeletons have been found, and I am talking in bulk, like 62 of them or something! They stage a kids paleontology training program where they teach proper technique and then let the kids excavate a site with scale model bones pre planted deep in the dirt. It was so cool! I didn't even help (translation - the kids repeatedly declined my offers to help)

Despite the rain forecast we hit the trail today for our big splurge of the trip - renting a side by side 4 wheeler to explore the Black Hills. What a blast - in the end we only got rained on for about a half hour but the unexpected hail made for some unpleasant riding. We are still waking up to awfully crispy cold mornings every day and too much old to sit out in  the evening - the mountains are lovely but I feel like we've sort of skipped our summer, in terms of weather. 

Tomorrow we are going to try to catch a 3pm presentation at the Badlands on solar telescope use. I wonder what that even means!!

No comments:

Post a Comment